Optimize and Stabilize Medication Therapy in the Bariatric Surgery Patient Population. Unique Challenge Requires Unique Skills
- Bariatric surgeries increasing at alarming rates in the US
- Obesity associated with many co morbidities
- Bariatric patients have multiple indications for post-surgery pharmacotherapy
- Scarcity of clinical studies comparing drug absorption kinetics pre- and post-bariatric surgery
- No evidence based guidelines available for reference
- Training in dosage adjustment, drug conversion and monitoring crucial to preventing drug treatment failures.
- Discuss absorption process
- Types of Bariatric Surgery (Malabsorptive and Restrictive) and their effects on pharmacokinetics
2. Discuss medication Issues in the Acute Post-Operative Period
3. Discuss medications which should be avoided or used with caution in Patients After Bariatric Surgery
4. Make recommendations for medication management based on theoretical and evidence-based medicine in the post-bariatric surgery patient.
5.Discuss vitamin deficiencies post -bariatric surgery
6. Case presentations